Hinoki, or Japanese Cypress, is a soft wood from the conifer family. Due to its pleasant aroma when wet and natural resistance to rot, fungus and other bacteria it is commonly found in traditional Japanese bathhouses called onsen. Hinoki, like other conifers such as cedar or redwood is dimensionally stable, soft and tough, so it will resist warping and cracking that is common in other woods. Its softness is beneficial when using hard, thin Japanese knives. this will allow the edge to last longer and mitigate risk of damage.
Single piece Hinoki cutting boards (Manaita) are the optimal choice for stability, but for larger size cutting boards require the tree to be of comparable size which is becoming rarer.
The tab at the bottom of this board turns out to allow it to stand upright during drying and storage.
• Material: Hinoki (Japanese Cypress)
• Dimensions: 17.7" x 9.4" x 1.2" ht (45cm x 24m x 3cm ht)
• Weight: 2.92 lbs / 1.32 kg
• Made in Japan
We recommend washing these boards with a mild dish detergent and bristle brush such as a tawashi. If any stubborn stains develop, the cutting boards may be bleached or sanded but should be scrubbed thoroughly with dish detergent afterwards. When drying these cutting boards it's recommended to leave them upright with the grain running vertically.
• Hinoki is a very soft wood and as such is quite gentle on knives. However, be aware that dents or scratches are common and can occur very easily. These boards may be sanded in order to refinish. Please consider this before placing an order.
• Hinoki contains natural sap which may be found at the cut edges of the wood. This is totally natural and safe.
Kamenoko Tawashi Scrubbing Brush
SKU : 93647 (Small), SKU : 93646 (Large)
Kitayama Tawashi Palm Scrubbing Brush
SKU : 82690 (Medium), SKU : 82691 (Large)